Thursday, September 10, 2009

Emmaline's Twirly Skirt



Well, I'm finished with the knitting!!

I crocheted a border on the bottom of the skirt because I could not bring myself to knit four more rounds of 280 something stitches just to sew them up into a hem. So, I took a chance that the crocheted border would be enough to keep the stockinette stitch from rolling onto itself. Thankfully, it was. Sadly, though, it took me a whole Sunday afternoon just to get the first row of single crochets and increases figured out. First off, I incorrectly counted the amount of stitches I had on my needles. I somehow came up with the number 232. So, I tried to increase my stitches to 240 in order to fit the multiples required for my crochet pattern. I got done with my total number of increases before I got halfway around the bottom. Rats!! So, I was lazy and decided to just keep going. However, once I got to my last few stiches I could tell it was all wrong. Somewhere in my crazy head I came up with some way of recounting the stitches without having to really recount the stitches. I came up with 262. So, frog I did and restarted the single crocheting! Still didn't have the right amount of stitches at the end! Double Rats! I finally broke down and recounted my stitches using stitch markers to help me out and came up with 284 stitches. Don't ask me how I managed to miss 52 stitches on my first count! I don't want to know!

Well, after all that I finally got the crochet trim done, and I really like the way it turned out. Now I need to weave in a few more ends, figure out what kind of tie I am going to make for the waist and seam up the waist band once I have. I can't wait to put this on my little girl and see her twirl in it!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Looks neat! Can't wait to see pics of her in it.