Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Elin's Mystery Alligator Scarf

Happy Birthday Elin!!!

This scarf was knit on size 7 needles using Araucania Azapa yarn in their lovely shade of green. It didn't have a name or color number, sorry. It took three skeins of yarn and 7 more pattern repeats than what the original pattern called for to make this scarf. I loved the yarn, hated the pattern. If you decide to knit this scarf, don't buy a yarn that costs as much, and don't buy a bulky yarn like I did....

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Self-Striping Mirror Socks

I've started on a pair of socks for myself. This will be the first pair of socks I will have ever made for myself, plus my first project reading from a chart. The pattern can be found here if you have a Ravelry account.

I'm using Premier Yarns Serenity Sock Weight yarn in color number 8-Saffron. I am using smaller size 1 DPN's instead of the size 0 called for.

So far I am pretty pleased with the way this is turning out. I was worried that the striping yarn would look messy with all the variations in the pattern. I think it would have been messy looking if this yarn were a self-patterning yarn, instead of self-striping. The chart is pretty easy and the instructions seem pretty clear so far. I also had to learn a new way of casting on for these socks. Which was nice, since it is always nice to learn something new! These socks called for a Turkish cast-on. I used this tutorial for my casting on, but used DPN's instead of two circulars. I got through the cast-on to increasing stitches and ended up dropping a few stitches. Which meant I had to start all over again, because I had irreparably dropped them. Oh well, it's always something!

Socks for JP

This is how far I've gotten on another pair of JP's socks. Still need to finish the second sock for the first pair.....eek!

Cabled Button Toque

Here's the Cabled Button Toque I finished over this past weekend. You can find the pattern here. It only took me a few hours collectively, though I started it on a Friday and didn't finish it til Saturday or Sunday. I used size 13 straight needles for the brim and size 13 DPN's for the rest of the hat. The yarn is Country by Rowan in the color Birch. Now I just need to find a fancy button to put on the brim! I think I am going to make a matching one for my little girl, too.

This yarn was the first yarn I bought when I was teaching myself to knit. Unfortnately, it has taken me two years to find a project worthy of this yarn. I fell in love with all the different colors, and how the gray changes shades as well. I loved how thick and fluffy and squishy this yarn was, plus that it was single ply. Thick, single ply yarn somehow makes me feel like I'm knitting rustic-style, like people used to knit hundreds of years ago. It strikes me as wild, and I love that!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

JP's Hat

I finished another hat for JP. This one was made from Filatura Di Crosa Maxime Print, color number 5072, on size 2(3.00mm) DPN's. I used the same pattern as the one before.

I really enjoyed working with this yarn. Since it is a sport weight yarn project went a lot faster. I have also started a sock in the same yarn. I still haven't finished the pair of socks in the Trekking, so I'll need to get on that, too! Oh well, minor victories lead to majors!

Emmaline's Hoodie

I realized a few weeks ago that I never got a picture of my Emmaline wearing her hoodie, nor did I even take a picture of the hoodie after it had been completed. So here are some pictures of the hoodie "in action"!

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dishcloth for October's Birthday

I'm a part of a dishcloth exchange where each member is assigned a month (their birthday month). Then everyone else in the group sends them dishcloths for their birthday. This is the cloth for the October gal.

While I enjoyed knitting this because it was very easy, I'm not pleased with the way the tops came out. I think the pattern could have been written a little better.

Friday, October 9, 2009

Mommaof8's Longies - Finished

Sorry the pic is sideways. I can't figure out how to turn it.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mommaof8's Longies

Ava's Legwarmers

I've started on my Christmas presents for my nieces with this project. This "pattern" is simply something I made up in my head. There is 2 inches of ribbing followed by 6 inches of stockinette and 2 more inches of ribbing. I cast on 20 stitches for a 7" ankle and increased 4 stitches when I had 2 inches of stockinette stitch, then another 4 stitches when I had 4 inches of stockinette in order to accomodate a 10" calf. I made these 10" long for a little growing room.

I knit the ribbing in size 10 DPNs and the stockinette in size 13 DPNs. The yarn is Jo-Ann's Sensations Angel Hair. I don't have the color number or name because my little girl got a hold of the label, and it has subsequently disappeared. Let's just call it purple!

This is how far I have gotten on the second.

JP's Hat and Socks

Here is the first sock. I finished it last night! I had some problems with the instructions for the sock, so I will make notes on the second one to see if I have the same problems.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mommaof8's Longies

This is day two of Amanda's longies. I'm about to start on the gusset. Had to restart b/c we weren't sure if we had the right measurements. Once the gusset is complete, the rest should go very quickly.

Monday, October 5, 2009

JP's Hat

I've finished the hat for my friend Lisa's little boy. Now I've set to work on the matching socks. Here's how far I've gotten on the first one.

This is the same Zitron Trekking XXL in color 401. I'm using size 1 (2.25mm) DPNs.