This shawl is thusly named due to the insane amount of strings on the back that had to be woven in. I had hoped to wait to weave the ends in until after I had blocked the shawl, but could not take the strings everywhere. Thank goodness I was weaving in as I went, or otherwise I would have really hated finishing this shawl at the end. Just imagine: two ends per fan(module), plus two for each half module at the top and two ends for the garter stitch edge. That's easily 100 ends! NIGHTMARE!!!
Now, in the pattern's defense, I could have done things a bit differently by knitting diagonal columns and sewing those columns together. However, I wanted to be able to manipulate the colors and put them where I wanted them to go, instead of waiting to see where they fell on their own. I should have just done it the other way.....
As much as I really loathed this shawl, and as much as this shawl almost killed the joy of knitting for me, I still learned a few things from it that were somewhat surprising. For instance, I have surprising discipline when it comes to finishing knitting projects. Now, don't get me wrong, it may take me years to do it, but, by golly, I will get it done! Also, I found out that I do like wide shallow shawls just as much as I like wide and deep shawls. I guess as long as it's wide, I like it!
This is the Panda Silk DK Fan Shawl by Gail Tanquary using Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball in the colorway Spring Blossom. The yarn worked out pretty well, sometimes it was a bit splitty due to being single ply. I'm not sure what will happen to the ball and some I have left over. I don't want to look at it right now. I am so relieved to have this shawl done. It was a great chip on my shoulder; now I am free and back to knitting with glee!!